Tuesday, April 27, 2010

1939?

Does everyone remember November 12, 1938? For those of you who don't I'll give you a quick refresher. Jewish shops across Germany were vandalized by NAZI. They left a wake of shattered glass and dreams across the streets of that great nation. The glass shone in the moonlight giving the night the name "Kristallnacht" (Crystal Night). Shortly after in 1939 Jews in Germany were forced to wear little yellow stars marked "Jude". This was meant to mark them as Jews and to let everyone around them know that they could persecute them. Arizona's recent legislation seems to be just a step short of that. You don't have to wear a star on your clothes, but if you look like you are Hispanic you had better have your ID on you because they now have the right to stop you based on the way you look (ie the color of your skin). To me this is preposterous! I grew up in Arizona so I'm quite familiar with the debate about immigration, and many of the justifications for discrimination against immigrants sound just like the excuses the NAZIs used to execute millions of Jews. "They are taking are jobs" (The Germans were also going through a recession). "This isn't their country anyway." "They are endangering us." I think you get the point! Now I'm not saying that Arizona is going to start hauling all the Hispanics off to concentration camps, but what I am saying is that the NAZIs didn't start out saying they were going to murder millions of Jews, instead they started labeling them, then they started boycotting them, then they started locking them up and killing them. I've heard people in the past try and compare President Obama with Hitler (stupid comparison by the way). Well if you want something to compare with the NAZIs here it is. Sadly I think many of those calling Obama the next Hitler are going to be supporting this legislation instead of opposing it. However, I hold out hope that there are enough good Americans who will stand up against tyranny and protect the rights of those who are being oppressed. I would love to elaborate on this topic, but I don't think there is anything more to say. This is wrong and someone needs to do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment